Saturday, February 26, 2011

Book Nerd

Happy weekend y'all! I've had such a great week! A little stressful due to work, but overall really good! Thursday I had my book club meeting over "Water for Elephants." Here's my review of the book:



First of all, I'd like to say that Romance is not a favorite genre of mine. In the book club, we discussed how this genre often has a set formula the author uses each book. However, this book wasn't mostly a romance novel.

Set in the Great Depression, Jacob loses his parents in a car wreck. He comes to find out that they were in a huge amount of debt due to his schooling to become a veterinarian at Cornell University. He leaves in the middle of his final exams. After hours, maybe days of aimlessly wandering in shock, he runs into a circus where he is picked up (he is of obvious use to them). Jacob comes to care too much about the animals and Marlena (the cruel, circus director's wife) to leave the circus after The Benzini Brothers' circus starts to unravel.

Go here to read a better synopsis and here for a review by the New York Times.

Likes:
-historical perspective of the Great Depression
-the book shows the elderly Jacob (in his nineties) and his flashbacks to the circus
-the parallels between the caretaker, Rosemary, and the circus's elephant, Rosie
-the example of classicism that was present during that time period (and possibly now)
-the ending is bittersweet

Dislikes:
-I'm uninterested in the circus
-some of the explicit sexual scenes or descriptions in the novel
-the book is mostly melancholy until the end

What are your thoughts if you've read it??
***********************************************************************

Thursday night, Aaron and I resumed watching Lost. We still haven't gotten hooked. And I think we're watching it now more because of the fact that SO many people have emphatically stated how good it is. Maybe we just haven't gotten there yet. Friday was much more laid back- we get to wear jeans! I went to lunch with Meredith (it's a weekly appointment we have set up that I think we've both come to look forward to). We always talk about our problems (no matter how minimal), work, boyfriend/husband, fitness, and food. So lucky to have someone to share my commonalities with.

Friday night was low key. I ran 9 miles at the gym on the treadmill. Stomach problems caused me to quit early- I was supposed to run for 1 hour and 50 min (~11 miles). I was still happy with my achievement. I finished 9.08 miles in 90 min for an average pace of 9:57 min/mile. Pizza, beer, and relaxing were calling my name after I got done. Haha.

This morning I was supposed to meet Stacie for Yoga Mix, but alas I was running late and then got lost. So bummed out. I really needed yoga. Tomorrow is my Quarter Marathon (6.55 miles)! It's part trail, part road. I'm a little nervous since I've never run a trail race. I'm not going for any particular time because I just want to finish safely. The ultimate goal is the Diva Half Marathon in April in HAWAII!!!

Even though my day didn't turn out to be that productive (got home around 10:30am, watched TV for a few hours, napped for a few hours), I had an amazing time with Aaron after he got home from work. We went out to eat at Carrabba's. My dish was pretty good-- Seafood Linguine with a spicy marinara sauce. The appetizer and salad were just ok. Afterward, we went to DSW to shoe shop and then to Border's to pick up my new book for the Book Club- "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." We ended up getting much more than that. What can I say, I'm a book buyer junkie! Since this particular book store was closing, everything was 20-30% off. I got Phase 10 (cardgame), a slowcooker recipe book, "Blink," and "The Great Gadsby," and a yoga DVD. I'm trying to collect the novels I've read and liked (Great Gadsby) because I plan to have a kick-a** library when I build a home. :) I have not read Blink, but it sounded interesting. Then we went to Barnes and Noble, because Borders did not have my book that we went looking for in the first place.

I bought "The Guernsey...," "Radical," and "Why We Makes Mistakes." Aaron purchased classics (my favorite genre) such as "Candide," "The Prince" (yuck), "The Origin of Species," and "Heart of Darkness." I am excited about ALL of our purchases, being the book nerd I am!


Remember this guy(see bookworm above)?!

************************************************************************
In other news, as promised, here's my two month check up on my resolutions:

Health:
- I have not followed the twice a week eating out rule. However, I try and get healthy options whenever I do eat out. : /
-I have not fully given up soda although I have not had any the past two days. Haha. I am thinking about giving this up for Lent again to make this rule stick. I have little self control when it comes to the Doctor. Dr. Pepper that is. ;)
-Practicing Yoga twice a week became unfeasible due to the weather. I have gone twice in January and once in February. I hope to do better about this after training for the marathon and even during training when I need it most.
-Running is the one goal I can say I have almost 100% achieved. I really want to do well in April. I have only missed two runs since starting my training and that was all due to the inclement weather in the beginning of February.
-Lastly, I have not done so well with flossing daily in February. I have noticed a difference in my gums due to my "new" electric toothbrush!  I think flossing is very important and I plan to make this more of a priority going on. Did you know that 1 in 2 americans has gingivitis and may not even know?! Floss people! (Note to Bridget: the flossy, flossy!! Bahaha)

Religious:
-Aaron and I did attempt to find a church home. We have not stuck to fully going every Sunday. This needs to be more of a priority for me, with or without Aaron.
-I have stuck to my daily bible readings. I really love the "Women's Catholic Devotional Bible" Aaron's mom gave me. :)

Personal:
- I have not created a budget, but my entire bonus went into my savings which I will not touch unless an extreme emergency.
-I have read one book per month- I really enjoy this. Even if I don't fully like the book, I still like discussing with others.
-I am volunteering this Thursday night at a basketball tourney! I would like to find something more routine later on when things become a little more stable with the job situation.
-Traveling next weekend to go camping with Claire and Audi! And of course Hawaii in April!
-Unsure of how I am doing at getting to work on time. This last week, I got to work 10 min late every day except Monday. I should probably develop some sort of spreadsheet and keep track.

Well, there you have it! Personal seems to be the only section I have done well in. But, the other two categories are life changes and will take some time. I hope to improve by checking on these every two months.

What were your resolutions? Have you stuck to them???

Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment